top of page

Tips for a Great Video on a Budget

One of my favorite things to do for my clients is write, produce, and edit video; specifically, video that tells a story. Sometimes that looks like sitting down with someone whom you've never met, and getting a rare glimpse into their lives through a well-crafted interview. Sometimes it's as simple as getting the right shots that showcase a product in the right setting, along with the perfect narrative, and carefully selected music. If you've read any of my previous blogs, or follow my Taylor Brand Consulting social media, you know I work mostly with nonprofit organizations. While around 60% of my work is for nonprofits, the other 40% is for local small business owners. When I create video for nonprofits, it's a given that the content will be story-focused, but for quite a few of the small business owners I've worked with, they have run into a roadblock promoting their products and acquiring new customers. The most effective, most powerful tool I can propose to them is a well-crafted video with a compelling narrative that not only showcases the product or organization, but moves their audience to action.

Before you start seeing dollar signs, let me assure you, great video doesn't have to cost thousands. If you are a "solopreneur" or if your marketing budget is just stretched as tight as it can go, the great news is that you most likely have all the tools to DIY your own video with a little work, and trial and error. While the video above was shot using professional equipment, here are some tips you can use to shoot your own video.

The Shot: Don't just focus on your subject. You have to look at everything in the frame and how it works together.

The Audio: The sound is definitely just as important as the shot, if not more so. Make sure to find a quiet place to get your interview unless you plan to overlay music over the original footage. If you want your audio to have the crisp sound of professionally produced video, consider purchasing a lavalier mic that can plug directly into your camera or phone for a nominal cost.

The Narrative: If you're shooting an interview-style video, you need to lay out your tentative story line ahead of time so you can write your questions. While choosing the right subject, someone who comes across well on camera and is passionate about your organization or business, is important, the most crucial aspect of the interview is the interviewer and not the interviewee. Make sure your talking points are embedded in your questions so your subject will be likely to repeat them back in their answers. Also, be adaptive and aware of when the subject has more to say on a certain topic or of what they are most passionate about to get the best content.

Editing: Make sure to break up your video so it's not all the same, static shot. You can overlay photos and other video, or use dynamic, moving video when shooting a product.

I hope these tips help you shoot great content that will engage your audience and grow your business. However, if you don't have time to shoot, produce, and edit your own video, or feel out of your depth, let's connect and create something for you. Email me at to chat more.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page